IDEAS Camp Instructors at Columbus School For Girls
Our instructors and counselors choose to work at IDEAS Camps, because they cherish the opportunity to work with children in an innovative, safe and friendly environment.
IDEAS Summer Camps have adult-led instructors and we have an average camper-to-counselor ratio of 6:1. We hire professionals already working within education or individuals who are either in college or who are postgraduates enrolled in programs and on track to work in education. We have extremely rigid hiring procedures and all members of the IDEAS Summer Camp team undergo extensive training and a full background check prior to working on location. We believe that summer camp is a platform for teaching some of life’s greatest lessons. Our staff is committed to a style of teaching and coaching that respects truth, curiosity, creativity, humor and independent, imaginative thinking.
We strongly encourage you to take a moment to view the following pages that all prospective Instructors must read prior to starting the application process:
Requirements, Expectations To Work At Camp
Moreover, the information below provides you with a quick glance of our hiring process. All prospective counselors and Instructors must read and fully understand the expectations IDEAS Camps demands to work with our campers.
What We Look For
Below is a passage from our hiring page and the first communication potential counselors read prior to applying:
Our #1 goal is to hire the most qualified, positive, inspirational, team-oriented teachers and educators to be summer camp counselors with a passion for camp, children, fun and personal development.
Working at IDEAS Camps is more than simply a traditional seasonal or part time job — join the IDEAS Camp family and experience an environment full of care, development, value, and attention to detail, and the common goal of working together as a team. Working at IDEAS Camps provides you with advancement opportunities for future summers.
Mandatory Company Guidelines:
- Required fingerprints filed with state of Ohio and the FBI.
- CORI (criminal offense) and SORI (sex offender) background checks will be conducted.
Our overall mission is to enrich the lives of children and pre-teens by simultaneously fostering fun & building character.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the What, Why, Who and How We Hire.
What Is The Camper to Instructor Ratio?
Safety and supervision are our top priorities. Furthermore, we promote an environment full of enrichment and attention. Therefore we maintain a camper to instructor ratio of:
- 3 to 1 ratio for campers in the swimming pool
- 6 to 1 ratio for campers under the age of 4
- 8 to 1 ratio for campers between the ages of 5 and 9
- 10 to 1 ration for campers 10 years old and older
Whom Do You Hire To Work The Summer Camps?
At Rancho Summer Camps, we only hire counselors that have carefully been selected during our rigorous application and hiring process.
- All our counselors have graduated from high school and are currently teaching, coaching or working towards a technology-based, academic or education degree in college.
- The only exception would be counselors who have previously worked with groups such as Teach For America or The Peace Corps.
- Each counselor is hired due to a commitment to fulfill their professional and supportive energy while making a positive and lasting impact on the lives of children.
- Rancho Camps create an extraordinary summer platform steeped in tradition and filled with memories to last a lifetime. Those who work at Rancho Camps understand that it is far more than just a season at camp.
- Instead, it is a place where campers feel at home, where new experiences can be tried and old skills improved.
- Our values and goals are reflected in every aspect of each week of camp.
- From our carefully planned programs and premier facilities to our emphasis on individual achievement in a family atmosphere, Rancho Summer Camps is truly a special place for our campers and their families.
What is the scope of the background check process for employees?
We have stringent requirements for all our full time and seasonal staff:
- All Instructors candidates undergo mandatory State and Federal criminal background checks.
- CORI, SORI, FBI Fingerprints and full background checks as well as a series of in-depth interviews with our Director of Talent and Hiring Department.
- No Instructors are permitted to be on campus without passing all the aforementioned tests.
How Do You Train Your Instructors?
We conduct Instructors’ orientation training programs that focus on a series of camp and child-related topics, which include: safety and security procedures, group management strategies, anti-bullying training and team building.
- Each Instructor receives up to 20+ hours of online training, webinar training, and on-location training before the first day of camp. Our team of top-notch, professional educators and college students possess exceptional skills, a commitment to the development of each camper and sensitivity to their needs.
- They continually offer a helping hand and provide each camper the confidence necessary to try all activities. They encourage campers to grow, to learn, to trust in their abilities and to believe in themselves. Above all, our counselors and instructors have the determination and dedication to make a difference in the lives of children.
Will I Be Able To Meet The Camp Instructors Before The Start Of The Camp Season?
- Yes. We hold our Family Orientation in early-June.
- Camp directors and instructors will be present and available to meet and speak with parents and campers at this event.
- At this time, you will also be able to pick up all important camp-related materials and security passes.
- While it is not mandatory, we strongly encourage all campers and their families to attend Family Orientation.
We’re Hiring – Apply Today!
IDEAS Camps Is Seeking Proactive and Positive Instructors.
Our #1 goal is to hire the most qualified, positive, inspirational, team-oriented teachers and educators to be summer camp instructors with a passion for camp, children, fun and personal development.
Working at IDEAS Summer Camps is more than simply a traditional seasonal or part time job. Join the IDEAS Camps family and experience an environment full of care, development, value, attention to detail, and the common goal of working together as a team. Working at IDEAS Camps provides you with a unique learning experience as well as advancement opportunities for senior leadership positions in future summers.
“Thank you for providing such an excellent working experience this past summer. I learned so much from your unique curriculum and will be including much of it in my classroom this upcoming fall with my 3rd graders. We are going to have a lot of fun and I really hope to work with you again next summer!”
3rd Grade Teacher / IDEAS Instructor
“Love your training and support. My ability to teach and understand technology in a classroom setting has drastically improved these past 8 weeks. The training is really easy to follow and your dedicated team of support specialists we’re so eager to help me. See you next year!”
6th Grade Teacher / IDEAS Instructor
“The fact that we are teaching young kids (I worked with Grades K-3) to fly drones, program robots, and learn the FUN parts of STEM is fantastic. I love my school, but we do not have the same freedom to deliver a curriculum that you provided me and my team with this summer. Kudus to the curriculum team.”